Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Following Paul

Welcome to the June Carnival of Natural Parenting: Outdoor fun

This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month our participants have shared their stories and tips for playing outside with kids. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

***


We keep things pretty unscheduled here, so Paul just does what he feels like doing when we are outside. He loves being outside and plays until the bugs come out. Dolores spends her outside time sitting in the shade with me, or in the mei tai. She loves to watch her brother, the dogs and the chickens. Some days we meet a friend at the park and also there is the State Park a few miles away that we go to from time to time. We spend a LOT of time outside once the weather gets warm, partly because Paul likes to dig and also because we don't have A/C so being outside isn't much different than being inside. :) Usually a bit breezier :)

We live in an old trailer park so there are lots of neat things for our son to explore. Usually he is digging, whether it is rocks, dirt or grass clippings. I included a few random photos of a general day outside with Paul (and Dolores, who is mostly along for the ride right now).

Dolores enjoying the shade and giving her cute smile

Getting mulberries with Daddy and Pepper

Showing me one of his mulberries

Running to feed the chickens

Digging in the driveway, always has his excavator and a bobcat type tractor

Making footprints in the mud

More digging, this time with a rake





***



Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: MamaVisit Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!



Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:



12 comments:

Dionna @ Code Name: Mama said...

My 2.5 yr old finally discovered the sheer joy of digging in the dirt this spring. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen for him ;) Honestly, I could still sit and dig forever - as long as I had something comfy to lean back on from time to time. :) The chickens would be awesome - we recently had a cookout at some friends' property that sported about a dozen chickens. They were fun to watch and listen to; I would love to have some.

Deb said...

It is fun just watching kids outside, they are so inventive. We've recently been playing in the mud but today it's dried out, the girls were fascinated to go back and see the shapes it had dried in and feel the hard lumps. There were even a couple of little footprints in there.

Holly said...

We just discovered a mulberry tree in our backyard! They are pretty good.

mamamilkers said...

Aw, so sweet! I love the simplicity of children just finding even a pile of gravel to play in. Always a reminder that they don't need anything fancy!

I missed where you live-- it sounds like somewhere pretty warm, though? I've become such a wuss about hot weather, but I grew up without AC, too. I think it makes kids more likely to be outside, since being inside can be downright unbearable!

Lauren @ Hobo Mama said...

I'm jealous of your chickens, and I look forward to blackberry season here. They are everywhere! When the sun warms them, it's just like a mini blackberry pie.

It looks like you know just what kids need: not much to keep them happy! That picture of Dolores hanging out in the lawn chair is priceless.

Paige @ Baby Dust Diaries said...

I think it is great that you let your son explore freely. It is easy for me to try to make something educational happen. I've never had a mullberry!

Welcome to the Carnival! :)

Julie said...

Thank you everyone :).
@Dionna ~ Paul was about 2.5 also when he found the joy of digging. I was hugely pregnant and he'd sit out there digging for an hour or more and I'd sit in the shade with a book. We love the chickens. Just wish the stray dogs would stop coming by for a snack. I want to bring then in the house, but that's not really feasable (or sanitary :)). On a side note, I live about 60 miles southwest of Kansas City, I saw on your blog that you are in KC. We are soon moving about 25 miles from Lee's Summit.

@Deb, Paul LOVES the mud too. I wonder what it is about mud? He'll often ask for water to make mud, or to fill a spot in the driveway that gets a puddle. The footprints in the dried mud, those are my favorite.

@Holly, my husband really likes the mulberries, the first one Paul tried wasn't quiet ripe, so it was a little bitter, he liked the one after that. They are very prolific trees! I like that they fruit so early.

@mamamilkers, I live in a town called Knob Noster, in west central Missouri. It's not crazy hot like Arizona, but the last few weeks have been much hotter than normal for this time of year. I totally agree about the a/c. We have one in the bedroom, and I know I have a hard time leaving it :). But thankfully, Paul has not preferred the bedroom to being outside. We did finally break down and get a unit for out in the main living area. But my favorite time of day is as the sun is going down, that is also when I go out and do outside chores, so I'm hoping Paul will still want to go outside :).

@Lauren, I do love my chickens. I can't wait to get the first eggs. We have to get them a safer house (this weekend, I can't wait! no more staying up all night listening for the tell tell crow that says something is bugging us). We have a few meat birds too, I'm nervous about that :)
I don't now where Dolores learned that super cute, tilt your head to the side and smile, but it is SO cute! And thank you :).

@Paige, thank you for the welcome. I can't wait to read all the entries! :)
As for Paul (and when she's mobile) Dolores having freedom, we are lucky to live in a place that allows that. If we lived in the city or even in town, it would be harder. Less space and all. Currently he uses about an acre or two for exploring. Once we move our whole 5 acres will be totally fenced so he'll have a lot more room. I think he'll miss some of his digging places, but hopeful he'll find ones he likes more.

Casey said...

I loved seeing all the pictures of your babies! What a great post! :)

jenny @ let the children play said...

Nothing beats unstructured play in the great outdoors :)

Erin said...

I love unstructured playtime outside. I grew up in a trailer park and there is almost always something interesting to find in them. I had a wonderful, fun childhood spent outside and I really look forward to the stories I'm sure I'll hear from my kids as they get older about their adventures in the great outdoors.

Joni Rae said...

My littles LOVE digging in the dirt. Favorite way to pass the time!!!

I love watching them play!

Lovely pictures!

<3

Acacia @ Be Present Mama said...

So sweet. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is exactly what you wrote about. Sit outside with my itty bitty watching my 3 year old play freely. It's awesome.