Tuesday, November 17, 2009

end of a long day

We lost a cat today, Charcoal, we are pretty sure it's part of the curse of having feline leukemia in your house. It came on very suddenly and then he was gone. It's so hard to have this disease among your cats. You really have to develop this weird tough skin regarding death because you know it's going to be something you have to deal with often. Every time we think that we are done, another kitty gets sick. I don't really know how to explain the feeling really without sounds harsh or even heartless. You love each one, and are just as sad, but you really have to turn it off. To put things in perspective, in the last year and a half we have lost 6 cats, you get numb after a while. I hope today is the last of that.

In more cheerful news, today didn't end up being as hard as I thought, of course, Chip was up by 2, which is early for a work day, and he was able to come help with Paul at the wic appointment, which was great because it was a LONG appointment. Reverification, for all three of us! Dolores has gained 10 ounces since birth, which I think is pretty neat :), she's only 11 days old.

It's been neat this evening to note the differences between Paul and Dolores, she's already starting to show likes and dislikes, mostly in how she sleeps, which I guess makes sense since that is what she does mostly! I think she sleeps more than Paul, maybe she'll be more like her dad, that would be nice and good news to me, since Paul is more like me, a sleep camel, though I'm sure his is not self imposed as I can't imagine that he worries about stuff! It's just neat to me that such a little tiny person has preferences, to see her personality already showing. I guess I won't ever get over that. I think the message in society must be that babies are just blobs that cry or something, because it really never stopped amazing me how truly unique Paul was, and how much of a person he was. Maybe I'm just odd!

1 comment:

Mama said...

I don't think it is mean or heartless. It is something I had to do when I worked at the humane society too because it was just part of life there. Of course it is a little different because those animals weren't *my* animals but I still knew every one of them.

I am glad the day went well with the kiddos!